- Ask family and friends for recommendations and referrals.
- Obtain a list of qualified removal companies in your area from the Australian Furniture Removers Association (AFRA) on 1800 671 806 (free call).
- Organise at least three quotations from removal companies that will visit your home to provide the quotation for free and with no obligation. Lists over the phone or via email are good for moving a small number of items but are not the most effective when moving an entire house load or when going interstate.
- Be wary of really cheap quotes – it could turn out to be anything but cheap
- Be cautious if a company doesn’t disclose its location on their website and if the only contact numbers are mobile numbers – you could be dealing with a one man operation, who may not have the equipment or expertise for your removal.
- Make sure when you are given the quotation that it is presented professionally. All terms and conditions should be made available to you. Some unscrupulous operators will have charges hidden in the fine print.
After obtaining your 3 quotes consider the following questions:
- Is the company a member of AFRA?
- Was the estimator’s presentation professional?
- Can the company supply quality packaging?
- Can the company pack/unpack your special items?
- Does the company own a large fleet of vehicles?
- Can the company organise additional services such as car, or pet transport and house cleaning?
- Are the drivers and offsiders fully trained?
- Do the storage facilities meet industry standards?
- Is the company you are dealing with part of an Australia wide service?
- Are you assured of a professional written quotation?
- Can the company offer full details on transit and storage insurance?
At the end of the day price is important, but if your quotes are very similar, go with your gut – a good rapport with the office staff will also help relieve the stress of moving.